It’s about to get real folks…. Sometimes us bloggers can’t get our own recipes to work… it happens. Not often, but it does happen. Last night I asked my husband to use my homemade mayonnaise recipe and make a batch of mayo… I wanted to record him making a batch and post it on the site to show everyone how easy it is (so easy even a non-cook can make it!).
Unfortunately, it didn’t go as planned. The mayo just wouldn’t emulsify properly even though he followed the mayonnaise recipe perfectly (watch him separate egg yolks like a champ!)
We even tried going out and buying fresh eggs because that’s usually the problem when mayo won’t emulsify. But, not even that worked… take a look at our second attempt below. The mayo started to emulsify and then just fell apart and would not come together.
I tried everything to get the mayo to come together. I added more egg yolks and mustard, and I even tried adding more vinegar and lemon juice. Nothing. Just watery white goop in a mason jar. I didn’t really want to give up on the mayo quite yet, so I put a lid on the jar and put it in the fridge to play around with later.
This afternoon I decided to give it another go. But I used the old fashioned method this time. It totally worked and saved my homemade mayo! So, if you have yourself a batch of watery mayo that won’t emulsify, try this method before you throw it all out. I should note that the mason jar and immersion blender method works great for me. I’ve made it that way so many times that I’ve lost count. This was the first time it didn’t work.
How I fixed my watery homemade mayo:
- I put an egg yolk and a teaspoon of mustard in my food processor with a bit of the watery mayo (seriously, don’t put very much in).
- I turned my food processor on and let the yolk, mustard, and mayo process until it got fluffy.
- Next, I slowly drizzled the watery mayo into the food processor and let it incorporate bit by bit.
- Voila… fully emulsified homemade mayo!
Photo by: jules:stonesoup is licensed under CC BY 2.0
Latest posts by Pamela Bruesehoff (see all)
- 28 Days of Healthy Habits: Week 4 - February 24, 2015
- 6 Ways Fad Diets Can Harm You and How to Spot Them - February 23, 2015
- A Guide To The Mental Benefits Of Running - January 12, 2015