Now, that you have selected your weight-loss routine you’re ready to add in some exercise. The question is how to get started with an exercise routine. Well, below I have shared a few easy steps to get you started!
- First, let’s determine your fitness level. Like me I am sure it has been a while since you have committed yourself to a program and you have no idea how fit you are. Record these baselines so you have to have a few benchmarks to measure yourself against later.
- Measure your BMI(Body Mass Index) This link will get your BMI number
- Walk 1 mile (if you can) and see how long it takes
- Take some measurements: waist & hips etc.
- How many sit-ups can you do?
- How many jumping-jacks can you do?
- Set yourself up for success! Designing an exercise program is important but don’t design one that is unrealistic. I know you want to exercise everyday but is that realistic? I suggest starting out slow and adding as you go.
- Start off at your own pace. Don’t try to run a mile when you barely finished walking one during your assessment.
- Add in exercises gradually. Most adults should do at least 30 minutes of cardio a day and at least 2 to 3 days of strength training a week.
- Make sure to switch it up! Try not to do the same thing every day that’s a sure fire way to get bored and to quit exercising. If you walk one day then the next day try some aerobic exercises or yoga and so on.
- Keep an exercise journal to document what you have done each day. Write down your fitness goals here too and make sure to highlight all your successes!
- Listen to your body! If you’re barely getting out of bed in the morning it is time to reevaluate your exercise routine. If you feel pain, shortness of breath, dizziness, or nausea, take a break. You may be pushing yourself too hard.
- Reward yourself when you have accomplished one of your fitness goals! Not with food, but with a massage or a new outfit.
- Use a reminder system. Schedule your workouts like you would a dental appointment; this will help to keep you on track on those days life gets to hectic.
- Another great way to keep you going is to find a buddy to workout with. This will keep you motivated not to mention it is a lot more fun doing exercise with a friend than alone.
- Repeat your fitness assessment from step 1 every month or two to see where you are at and how much you’ve progressed. It’s important to measure success with more than just the scale or tape measure. One of the most important indicators of progress in an exercise routine is getting stronger and faster.
- Finally, be flexible. If you’re not feeling well, give yourself permission to take a day off. But make sure to get back at it as soon as possible.
Starting an exercise routine is a huge decision. But it does not have to be overwhelming. If you take time to plan it out carefully and journal daily, you can create a habit that will change your life!
Andrea is a devoted wife & mother of two sensational kids. Along with her two legged family she is also the surrogate mother of two very neurotic dogs and two exceptionally laid back cats. She holds a B.S. in Natural Health Sciences and is a certified Aromatherapist. Most of her days are spent homeschooling, blogging, cooking healthy food, & gardening in the foothills of Western North Carolina. She is an avid deal finder and health food junkie, and does not feel that we need to sacrifice quality when we make the conscience decision to live a healthy frugal lifestyle.
Latest posts by Andrea Warren (see all)
- 5 Ways to Get Over Your Weight Loss Plateau - March 23, 2015
- Get FREE Home Workout Routines on YouTube - March 16, 2015
- How to Start an Exercise Routine in 10 easy steps - March 9, 2015
I had a problem of Sciatica earlier so I can’t be able to walk fast. Kindly suggest me some exercise?
Raj recently posted…How to Reduce Stomach fat?
NITIN UPADHYAY says
Beyond expectations! really great kinds of stuff on this site, Highly recommended
Best Hospitals In Hyderabad says
Nice article very informative and useful information.
Best Hospital In Hyderabad says
Physical activity is an excellent stress-buster and provides other health benefits as well. It also can improve your mood and self image.
micky patel says
nice artical..please share a easy and get quick benefit from exercise for weight lose..
I spend some time on fitness and never thought of recording my routine. I got some nice insights from this article. Thank you.
Flex Gym Bands says
We love your article! Such a great motivator to start exercising and a great plan with it!
Frederick Dyer says
Thanks a lot for sharing such a great piece of article! I found it a good helpful write-up with a good sound and explanation. Here I have seen some valuable ideas that are definitely helpful for every fitness enthusiast who wants to live healthy, fit, and longer lives. Please keep sharing more updates!
Frederick Dyer recently posted…Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids