I recently upped my calories so I could do more weight training. With the additional calories came the need for more meals to spread out those calories over the day. I tried adding protein shakes in between meals, but just couldn’t do it for very long before I got sick of them. So I came up with a yummy solution….. Sunbutter Protein Muffins! (Have I mentioned that I’m totally obsessed with sunbutter?) These muffins are like getting a little desert in between each meal, they are so yummy! Here’s the recipe:
Ingredients (makes 24 muffins)
1.5 cup sunbutter
4 large eggs, separated
1/2 tablespoons honey
2.5 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup almond milk
1/4 cup almond flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
7 scoops egg protein
1.5 cup apple sauce
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
- Place a small dish of water on the bottom rack.
- Coat a muffin tin with coconut oil or cupcake papers
- Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl
- Beat the sunbutter with the egg yolks, then add the rest of the wet ingredients
- Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until peaks form.
- Make sure your oven is completely preheated before adding the egg whites and the dry ingredients to the wet mixture. You don’t want your whites to fall, and the baking soda will activate once it hits the eggs and vinegar.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and beat until combined.
- Pour the beaten egg whites into the cashew butter mixture, gently fold until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, then immediately put it into the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Don’t be tempted to open the oven door anytime before 40 minutes, as this will allow the steam to escape and you will not get a properly risen loaf.
- Remove from the oven, then let cool for 15-20 minutes. Cool completely before serving.
Nutritional information for 1 muffin
- 144 calories
- 6g carbs
- 8g fat
- 11g protein
Latest posts by Pamela Bruesehoff (see all)
- 28 Days of Healthy Habits: Week 4 - February 24, 2015
- 6 Ways Fad Diets Can Harm You and How to Spot Them - February 23, 2015
- A Guide To The Mental Benefits Of Running - January 12, 2015