I am a sucker for a good chicken soup recipe. Every week I make a different batch of soup which usually includes chicken. Having a big pot of soup sitting in my fridge ready to eat makes weekday lunches and dinners super simple. If I’ve made a big enough batch, I’ll even freeze some to have on hand for dinner emergencies later on.
The other day I came across a Southwest Chicken Soup recipe and while it looked delicious, the recipe looked too complicated and made too many dirty dishes. Plus I felt like it needed more real food ingredients. So I decided to simplify the recipe along with adding more fresh ingredients. Check out my version of southwest chicken soup below.
Southwest Chicken Soup Recipe
- 8 tomatoes quartered (you can also use 4 cans of organic diced or whole tomatoes)
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup of cilantro
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper seeds removed
- 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 4-6 cups homemade chicken broth
- 4 diced zucchinis
- 3 cups sliced carrots
- 1 bag of frozen corn
- 4 cooked chicken breasts shredded
- Blend the tomatoes, garlic, onion, cilantro, jalapeno and chipotle peppers in a big pot with an immersion blender,
- Add chicken broth to the blended tomato and pepper mixture.
- Bring to a boil then turn heat to low
- Add zucchini, frozen corn, and cooked chicken.
- Cook covered on low until veggies are soft.
Top with some freshly chopped cilantro and sliced avocado. You can even throw some diced sweet peppers on top for more complex flavor.
This recipe ended up being a bit spicy, but I absolutely love spicy food. If you’re not a fan of spicy then cut back on the adobo peppers. Around here, we’re a fan of spicy, so this soup didn’t last long at all… I didn’t even have any left over to freeze which speaks to just how delicious it is.
Let me know if you try this recipe!
Original recipe can be found here
Photo by: Evan Bench is licensed under CC BY 2.0
Latest posts by Pamela Bruesehoff (see all)
- 28 Days of Healthy Habits: Week 4 - February 24, 2015
- 6 Ways Fad Diets Can Harm You and How to Spot Them - February 23, 2015
- A Guide To The Mental Benefits Of Running - January 12, 2015
[…] Southwest Chicken Soup recipe @ Gym Free Fitness […]