Lately I have been on a soup kick. I’ve been making at least one soup a week, and sometimes two. And while all the soup recipes I have are delicious, this week I needed something a little different.. but I was having a hard time thinking of a new soup to make and then my husband suggested something with sausage and a Tuscan soup immediately came to mind.
This soup was so simple to make that even my husband could do it without much help. Not only is this soup easy to make, but it’s also incredibly flavorful despite it’s short ingredient list. To top it off, it’s incredibly versatile. You can swap out the red potatoes for any waxy potato that is on sale (I found yellow potatoes for an incredible price this week), you can substitute kale for the spinach, and you can even add carrots if you have some on hand.
This soup can really pack a nutritional punch if you get the right ingredients. For my soup, I used homemade chicken broth for a dose of collagen (see The Gelatin Secret for why homemade broth is so important), milk from grass fed cows for a dose of CLA, and organic spinach for vitamins K and A along with magnesium.
Tuscan Soup Recipe
- 5 spicy Italian sausage links (preservative free)
- 1 yellow onions diced
- 2.5lbs red potatoes diced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 can white beans
- 1 bunch spinach chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the Italian sausage from the casings and brown in a large soup pot over medium high heat
- Add onions and saute until soft
- Add chicken broth, beans (rinsed) and potatoes
- Simmer over medium until potatoes are soft (30 minutes or so depending on how small or large the potatoes are diced)
- Turn off heat and add spinach, cream, and Parmesan cheese. Stir until spinach is wilted
- Season with salt and pepper then serve and enjoy
How do you keep variety in your meals?
Photo by by QUOI Media Group is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0
Latest posts by Pamela Bruesehoff (see all)
- 28 Days of Healthy Habits: Week 4 - February 24, 2015
- 6 Ways Fad Diets Can Harm You and How to Spot Them - February 23, 2015
- A Guide To The Mental Benefits Of Running - January 12, 2015
Leave a Reply